IOC – ISLANDS Support to the Indian Ocean Commission and its Member States on climate finance and negotiations under the UNFCCC
Project name: IOC – ISLANDS Support to the Indian Ocean Commission and its Member States on climate finance and negotiations under the UNFCCC
Client / Funder: Indian Ocean Commission (IOC)
Project duration: March 2015 – July 2015
Project area: Indian Ocean region
Type of service: Policy advise and capacity building
- The ultimate objective of the project is to understand the main challenges of the UNFCCC process, promote exchange of views among the IOC, countries of the AIMS group and the AOSIS on the main issues and positions in the negotiations with a view to ultimately strengthen a common position and build consensus on the critical elements of the 2015 agreement;
- Strengthen capacity of IOC and its member countries on climate negotiations and UNFCCC mechanisms.
- Organising and facilitating a two day workshop and a working session with IOC on climate finance and negotiation.
- Organising a regional workshop to build the negotiating capacity of the region and the AIMS group through the provision of a critical insight into the main negotiation challenges and the key issues for AOSIS. This will help country delegates to successfully prepare for the 2015 sessions with the view to play an active role at COP21 in Paris.
- Providing mentoring and real-time coaching support provided to the workshop participants and tailored to the needs and interests of participants focusing on key elements such as climate finance, adaptation and loss and damage.
- Providing a set of updated knowledge and strategic briefs to be shared with the participants in line with the evolution of the negotiations to address specific areas of negotiation support needs identified during the training.
- Daily coordination and assistance to delegates of IO C member countries during the June 2016 Bonn UNFCCC negotiations.
- Workshop report and presentation
- Climate negotiations brief