Development of a multi-scale coastal risk index
Project name: Integration of climatic variability and change into national strategies to implement the ICZM protocol in the Mediterranean (ClimVar & ICZM project) – Strengthening the Knowledge Base on Regional Climate Variability and Change.
Client / Funder: Acclimatise Group / Plan Bleu
Project duration: October 2014 – November 2015
Project area: Mediterranean (Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Egypt, Libya, Montenegro, Morocco, Palestine, Syria and Tunisia)
Type of service: Strategic Research
- Providing a regional and sub-regional overview of vulnerable key socio-economic sectors;
- Exploring relevant options of adaptation for coastal zones in the region;
- Taking stock of existing relevant tools and methodologies at regional, sub-regional and local level to evaluate vulnerability and risk to the impacts of climate variability and change;
- Developing an integrated methodology for the regional, sub-regional and local vulnerability and risk assessment of physical and socio-economic impacts of climate variability and change;
- Delivering a regional analysis of expected impacts of climate variability and change, which allows to calculate vulnerabilities and risks and identify coastal hot-spots;
- Delivering a targeted analysis of expected impacts of climate variability and change in one relevant local case study.
- Development and implementation of a Multi-Scale Coastal Risk Index at the Mediterranean scale (CRI-MED).
- Development of a Multi-Scale Coastal Risk Index at the local scale (CRI-LS) and implementation in the case study of Tetouan, Morocco.
- Final report: “Satta, A., Venturini, S., Puddu, M., Firth, J., Lafitte, A. (2015). Strengthening the Knowledge Base on Regional Climate Variability and Change: Application of a Multi-Scale Coastal Risk Index at Regional and Local Scale in the Mediterranean. Plan Bleu Report.”
- Factsheet (English): “Towards a multi-scale coastal risk index in the Mediterranean” http://planbleu.org/sites/default/files/publications/notes28_en.pdf
- Factsheet (French): “Vers un indice des risques côtiers en Méditerranée” http://planbleu.org/sites/default/files/publications/notes28_fr.pdf
- Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/acclimatise/coasts-a-new-method-for-assessing-coastal-climate-risks-in-the-mediterranean